"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Saturday 11 May 2013

Spiced Grilled Catla (Indian Carp) Fish Curry


Carp fishes are rich in nutrition and is an extremely popular fish as it is beneficial for health and fitness and is the go-to fish both in Europe and Asia. It's tasty family of fishes may include Rohu, Salmon, Catla and more. Not only does it provide high levels of proteins, it also supplies essential aminoacids, minerals, vitamin A and vitamin D.Meat of this fish is rich in zinc, which boosts the immune system and slows the aging process as well. It also contains a lot of sulfur that is helpful to cartilage, skin, hair, nails, assimilation of nutrients.All Carp fish can be used for good health and longevity.

Being the peak of summer, I did not want to make this fish too spicy. So I used alternate spices as I am not too fond of fish being too bland. Yes you guessed it right I am an anti-sushi fan! Well it is not like I have not tried sushi but without sounding too gross, let's say the Sushi didn't want to stay down after consumption. I tried it twice and both times resulted in the same :-S

To make this tasty curry,



You need:


  • 1.5 kgs of catla, filletted, skinned and cut into medium pieces
  • 5-6 cloves of garlic, crushed and diced
  • 1" pc of ginger, paste
  • 2 green chilis, slit lengthwise
  • 2 tbsp of salt
  • 2 tsp of pepper
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1 spring curry leaves, diced
  • 1 tbsp coriander powder
  • 1/2 tbsp chili powder (you can add upto 1-2 tbsp)
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 11/2 tbsp garam masala
  • 1 ball of tamarind paste
  • 6-8 small red onions, crushed
  • 1 tbsp cooking oil


The Make
Serves 4-6 adults | Preparation time: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 20-25  minutes

1. Marinate the clean and diced fish with 1 tbsp of ginger-garlic paste, pepper, 1 tbsp salt, turmeric, garam masala for about 10 minutes (or more if desired). Layer the fish pieces on a grill tray for about 5-10 minutes on medium heat. This will half grill the fish. Set aside.




2. While the fish is grilling, heat the oil in a clay pot or non-stick deep-bottomed skillet and splutter the mustard seeds. Add the curry leaves, onions and green chilies. Saute for about a minute.

3. Lower the heat to medium-low and add the remaining garlic and ginger and saute for about a minute.

4. Next add the remaining garam masala and salt, coriander powder and chili powder and saute for another minute.

5. Add the tamarind paste and 2 cups of warm water. Bring to boil.

6. Lower the heat and add the grilled fish pieces. Cover and allow to cook for about 10 minutes.

Serve hot over rice or tapioca or your favourite flatbread. Enjoy! Bon Appetit!





No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"