"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Friday 1 May 2015

Kids' Special #3 - Clear Vermicelli veggie or chicken soup with quail eggs

This is a simple but flavoursome soup that kids' would love! It is especially good as an in between snack or a start to a supper or lunch.



Normally kids' prefer noodles but since my little one does not take well to too much of maida/plain flour related ingredients on a daily basis, and does actually like vermicelli, I substituted noodles with vermicelli.




You can also use shredded chicken instead of or with the mixed vegetables.




You need:

  • 1 cup vermicelli / noodles
  • 2 quail eggs (optional), boiled
  • 1/2 cup of vegetables or (1/2 cup of shredded chicken (optional))
  • Salt to taste
  • Pinch of white pepper
  • 2 cups Stock (either veg/nonveg freshly prepared) or 1 stock cube
  • 2 tsp of butter
  • 1/4 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
  • Drizzle of oil
  • 2 cups of water + more as desired


The Make
Serves 1 child | Cooking Time: 20 minutes | Preparation Time: 10 minutes

1. The quail eggs are optional but is recommended owing to its immense number of benefits. Do check out its nutritional value here. It takes a minute to a minute and a half to boil. In fact once the water starts to boil leave it on for about 20 seconds and turn off the flame. Once the water is cooled, de-shell and set aside.

2. In a wok, heat the oil and saute the veggies  (and/or chicken) with a pinch of salt on medium heat. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add the butter and saute once more.

3.  Uncover and add the ginger-garlic paste and saute well for a minute. Next powder in the stock cube followed by the water or the prepared stock and bring to a boil.

4. Next add in the vermicelli and bring to a boil. Lower to medium-low and simmer for about minute.

5. Serve in a bowl and top with the quail eggs and a side of crusty bread.

1 comment:

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"