"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Wednesday 5 October 2016

Mango Jam #noPectin

It has been a while since I last posted a recipe on the G'Gina's Kitchenette. You know what they say, 'When life hands you lemons make lemonade!( or in this case use it as a part of your Jam - I know PJ)' But what do you do when it hands you death, accident, unwanted troubles and family and friends' health issues?



Well not to burden you with the details but I have had quite a few check in on me..I lost my Dad-in-law in July and have had some issues with family health. Also an unfortunate accident happened, one that I will learn from. I had once lost all hope. But I trust God will bring peace and favour to us.








This recipe is long overdue. I wanted to post this soon after the Mango Jam Rolls in which I had used the same jam batch. Although in India, Mango season has come and gone, I am sure a lot of places still get a good lot of mangoes.



During this mango season, I had a wonderful time making recipes using different types of Mangoes. This one is special though as it reminded me of Mum who taught me my first ever Jam.


You can make this Jam with any kind of non-stringy mango variety. For this one, I chose Alphonso mangoes. I did not want to use Pectin either as Mum never used it and I am sure with reason.





You need:

  • 6 large ripe and firm alphonso mangoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
  • 11/4 cups of  granulated sugar
  • Juice of 1 medium size lemon
  • Sterilised jars, pots and ladles

*Make sure that all utensils including the spoons and ladles are properly sterilised and dried.



The Make:
Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cook and rest time: min. 45 minutes | Makes 2 small sized jars or 11/2  medium sized jars approx 600 gms | Lasts minimum 2 weeks if refrigerated well

1. In a large pot, place the mangoes, sugar, lemon juice over medium-high flame.Once the sugar comes up to a boil, reduce the flame to sim.
2. Cook the mangoes for at least 5-10 minutes and mash the cubes with the ladle.
3. Cook for another 5 minutes and the resultant mangoes will be cooked and thickened. Test the jam on a plate by drawing a line on it. If it is firm and not runny, then you are good to go, otherwise test cook for another 3-5 minutes.
4.  Set aside from the flame and allow it to cool which will continue the jam thickening process.
5. Once completely cooled, transfer to a sterilised jar (s) and refrigerate and use for a minimum of 2 weeks or until your family allows you to store it. #JammyGoodness #Flavoursome

Serve on your favourite toast or can be used in your favourite savoury dish as well. Spicy prawns may go well with this jam.




No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"